Purple Knit

I love purple, anything with purple... 最近迷上編織瘋狂的織,織,織... 阿亮說過,"凡走過必留下痕跡",別忘了在我的comments box留下您的痕跡喔!

Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker

December 26, 2006

Yarn Dyeing Class

I took a Yarn Dyeing class at TLD Design on 12/21, yup, the same time those girls called me while they were stranded in Boston Logan Airport. But ENOUGH about that, this is for my yarn dyeing!

In this class I dyed 2 skeins of different textured Cotton/Rayon blend yarns. The teacher Tammy Deck herself is an artist, seems like she's into all kinds of arts and crafts. She carries all the supplies needed for yarn dyeing. She also does weaving, her finished scarves are very beautiful, the materials (fibers) to make the scarf isn't too bad, but the class itself is a bit pricey for me right now, I think it's about $140 for a beginner's class (6 weeks). She was on one of the HGTV show once with her Felted Silk Chiffon Scarf, very interesting too.

About dyeing yarn; we first soaked the yarns with Soda Ash and luke warm water. Then while we were waiting for the yarn to take its "bath", we mixed up the dye powders with water, we then wrung the yarns pretty dry then put it on top of a piece plastic (18"x36" is prefered). We used foam brushes for each color and started painting. Paint it anyway you want, that means most likely you won't get 2 skeins of yarns exactly like each other. After painted the whole skein, use that plastic (I used clear garbage bag cut open) to wrap up the yarn, put it in a basin so it won't leak, then keep it in a cool place and leave it for 48 hours, then rinse it.

Here are the pictures of me giving them a shower. The left one is my first try, I think I used Raspberry, Sapphire Blue, Lilac, Deep Purple, and Chartreuse. The right one I used Turquoise, Chartreuse, Deep Yellow and Sapphire Blue.
Doesn't it remind you the Caribbean?

This is after another 48 hours, completely dried, the colors are more accurate after it's dried.
Which one do you like? I'm pretty happy with my first Yarn Dyeing class, I hope she offers this dyeing class again soon, I would love to try it using wool/silk yarns (according to the teacher, it needs to be "cooked"), it'll be super fun!!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12/29/06, 12:28 PM, Blogger Celia said...

I love them both! You know I can't resist purple/blue/lime-green combinations... ;) Any projects in mind for these two skeins?

 
At 12/29/06, 11:58 PM, Blogger Tcknit said...

Hehehe...no projects in mind yet, one skein each, probably a small shawl or scarf...any suggestion?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home