Purple Knit

I love purple, anything with purple... 最近迷上編織瘋狂的織,織,織... 阿亮說過,"凡走過必留下痕跡",別忘了在我的comments box留下您的痕跡喔!

Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker

December 20, 2006

My Sock Advanture

While I'm waiting for my sis to get her yarns for the Sahara (our mini KAL), I decided to try knitting my first sock. I bought Knitting Korner's Sock I & II a while back with Joann's 40% coupons, I like the idea I can always go back to the dvds if I forgot how to do something. In these dvds, Nenah Galati uses 2 circular needles which is easier then using dpns (I think), and you can even knit 2 socks at a time, how great is that?!

And then I saw this booklet "Magic Loop" uses only 1 long (32"~40") circular needle. Hey, I like it even more.

I was going to start my sock with 40" addi #1, but I couldn't find a pattern (I liked) written using Magic Loop. I found some patterns uses 2 circulars, but no luck with Magic Loop :-(

Since this is my first sock, I'd better follow a pattern, I went with Diamante. I started it using 2 #1 KP 24" circular, this is a toe-up pattern (so I can try on as I knit), I used Judy Becker's Magic cast-on, I did it just one try, and it looks great! Hey, it's a good start!

I knitted for about 2", figured it would be a good time to try it on, OMG, it was big! How can it be? Then I realized that I miscalculated the stitches, my gauge was 32sts=4", but somehow I had 36sts=4" in my mind...I increased too many stitches! Ok, let's try again, I ripped and re-knitted. Still too big! Why? Why? Why! I read the pattern again and again and again...well, it says it's for women size medium, could this be it?! At this point, I had no idea what size M means anymore! When I decided to knit socks I thought if I just follow the pattern (using same gauged yarn) I should be ok. Well, lesson learned!!


I took time to measure my foot this time, and used Knitty's Universal Toe-Up Formula to calculate all the numbers that are needed to knit a pair of socks that will fit me. Now I got all the numbers, I also found Anastasia socks has the Magic Loop instruction in it, perfect! At first I wasn't sure how to apply Magic loop, after knitted with 2 circulars, I kinda got an idea how it should work. It was easy! I just keep pulling each "ear" (the 2 loops) at the end of each row instead of pulling the whole circular needle, and it worked like using 2 circulars!

See the picture on the left, I was so happy that I can start my heel soon, then of course, I found a boo-boo, one set of the k2tog and YO was messed up. ~sigh~ I put in a life line, it's all ready to be ripped...oh...do I have to? Or can I just drop that stitch and pick it up use crochet hook?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12/23/06, 2:22 PM, Blogger Celia said...

Hello! I am back.
Thanks for putting all the tips in one posting, then I know where to go when I am ready to start my own sock adventure. ;)
I'll probably put in an order for my Sahara yarn later today, but with the holidays it probably won't arrive until after New Year. Sorry! I know you are anxious to start...
Anyway. So have you decided to rework the k2tog and yo? I wish I know how to fix these kinds of problems. I would probably rip it back to the lifeline and start over. Let me know how you fix it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home