Purple Knit

I love purple, anything with purple... 最近迷上編織瘋狂的織,織,織... 阿亮說過,"凡走過必留下痕跡",別忘了在我的comments box留下您的痕跡喔!

Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker

February 07, 2007

Long time no Blog

Wow, I can't believe I haven't blog anything since 1/17! Well, this one is kind of like a "documentary" for our very first handmade yarn swift, it was for my sister's birthday. I couldn't post this before her birthday, that would ruin the "surprise".

Sometimes in the 2nd week of Jan. I was just wandering from one blog to another and happened to see Carrieoke made a yarn swift using this instruction. Hubby is a very very good "handy" man (to me). He likes to hand made things, he loves working with metals(especially steel), but in this case, I think wood is more practical. I printed out the instruction to see if he's interested in making one. I showed him, and he seemed pretty excited about it, he's more interested in finding out if we can actually make it under $20. We went out and bought all the material for just under $20 (Home Depot, Ace hardware), yeah!! Hubby's friend Randy has a wood workshop in his basement, he got table sew, drill, and lots other tools (which I don't know the names) that are for wood working.

We went over to Randy's house on Sunday 1/14. Hubby was only planning on cutting the wood and then go home to finish the project, but Randy offered to help since he's got all the nice tools. So we stayed about 5~6 hours and finished the yarn swift there.

That tool on the right was used to "round" off the edges (one of Randy's suggestion), which turned out very nice, very professtional looking :-P

Hubby drilling holes on one of the piece.



After everything was cut, drilled, smoothed/rounded, we took it home and hubby used something called "Bee Wax" to finish all the pieces. We assembled everything together, it spins beautifully. I didn't have a chance to take a picture, this one is from my sis's blog. I'm proud to say "it works"!!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2/8/07, 3:28 PM, Blogger Celia said...

I could never imagine doing this myself... I don't even know what tools I will need and how to use them. It is a great yarnswift though. Used it twice more to wind yarns for Sahara after you guys left.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home